Car accidents can cause very serious injuries. In an instant, you or a loved one can be severely hurt due to another driver’s reckless or negligent behavior.
When this happens, injury victims need to take legal action to protect their rights and demand the money they deserve for their injuries. In Howard County, accident victims rely on the Kokomo personal injury lawyers at Vaughan & Vaughan.
Founded in 1913, our law firm has more than a century of experience obtaining large settlements and verdicts for our clients. Our car accident attorneys in Kokomo can fight for your rights and work to maximize your claim so you can move on with your life.
Car Accidents Are Often Caused By Negligence
Car accidents often occur due to the reckless or negligent actions of drivers. In Kokomo, the common causes can cover a wide range, including:
- Speeding drivers not slowing down in time, especially in the case of rear-end accidents and head-on collisions.
- Distracted driving, particularly when texting while driving, is involved.
- Drunk driving, which also often involves speeding and other dangerous behavior.
- Reckless driving, including weaving in and out of traffic, changing lanes without warning, running red lights, and more.
Whatever the cause of your accident – whether it’s a left turn accident on South Washington Street, a stop light accident on East Markland Avenue, or another type of accident on a busy road in Kokomo – it’s important to take legal action to hold the at-fault driver accountable for their actions.
That’s why you must talk to a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your accident. Your attorney can investigate exactly why your accident happened and gather the details you need to demand the financial compensation you deserve.
What Injuries Are Common in Car Accidents?
Different types of accidents often cause different types of injuries. Some of the most common – and most serious – physical injuries that often occur due to a bad car accident include:
- Head injuries: including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). These types of injuries are common in high-speed accidents, especially head-on collisions.
- Internal injuries: including a ruptured spleen or internal bleeding.
- Neck injuries: including whiplash or other soft tissue injuries, which can be permanent
- Back injuries: including spinal cord injuries and disc injuries
- Arm or hand injuries: including broken bones.
- Leg or foot injuries: including knee injuries and bone fractures.
Take your injury seriously. Go to a hospital right away, even if you are not in serious pain or discomfort after your accident. You could have a life-threatening internal injury and not even realize it.
Another important reason why you should see a doctor right away after a bad car accident is because insurance companies want proof of your injury. Without X-rays, CT scans, or other medical records, you might have a hard time convincing insurance companies you were actually hurt in a car accident. Without proof, they might deny your accident claim.
Should I Accept a Car Crash Settlement Offer?
After your accident, the insurance company for the at-fault driver might offer you a settlement to resolve your accident claim. It may be tempting to accept their offer, but you should carefully consider all your options before doing so.
Once you accept a settlement offer, you often cannot ask for any additional money in the future, even if your future accident expenses add up to thousands of dollars — or even significantly more.
The insurance industry is aware of this. For this reason, they will frequently make lowball settlement offers in the immediate aftermath of an accident before the complete extent of the financial consequences has been determined.
To best ensure you receive fair compensation, talk to a lawyer who can help you review your offer and decide if you should accept it or ask for more money.
What Damages Can I Collect in an Injury Accident Claim?
Your auto accident attorney will review your claim and may pursue the following damages on your behalf:
- Medical expenses: Costs for ongoing and future treatment of injuries like physical therapy, surgeries, medications, etc.
- Lost wages: Income lost from missed work while injured. This could include lost future earning potential.
- Property damage: Repairs or replacement value for damaged vehicles, personal property, and other belongings.
- Pain and suffering: Compensation for physical/emotional pain due to injuries and lifestyle impacts.
- Disfigurement: Awards for permanent scarring or functional impairment from injuries.
- Emotional distress: Damages for prolonged mental/psychological issues like PTSD or anxiety.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: Settling for reduced ability to participate in hobbies, activities, and relationships.
- Loss of consortium: Compensation for family members who suffer companionship losses.
- Punitive damages: Rare cases of intentional misconduct may allow punishing the wrongdoer.
It’s important to document all accident-related costs, losses, and quality of life impacts. An experienced attorney can help maximize damages recovered through negotiation or litigation. Gathering medical records and obtaining expert opinions are also critical.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Kokomo Help Me?
When you have legal representation after your crash, you can build a strong legal case in support of your motor vehicle accident claim. This often starts with a thorough and independent investigation of your accident.
As your legal team, we can review important documents related to your accident, including your official Indiana Officer’s Standard Crash Report. We can also track down witnesses, if possible, who saw what happened and consult with accident reconstruction experts if necessary.
Here are some of the key ways a car accident lawyer in Kokomo can help you:
- Investigate the accident thoroughly to determine who is at fault. A lawyer will gather evidence like photos, police reports, and witness statements.
- Handle all communications with the insurance companies. Lawyers are experienced in dealing with adjusters and know how to maximize the settlement value of your claim.
- Give you an expert evaluation of your legal options. They can assess if you have a claim for pain and suffering damages beyond just property damage.
- Help document all of your medical treatment and expenses related to your injuries. This establishes the damages incurred to fully compensate you.
- Negotiate with insurance on your behalf to get full and fair value for your claim. We negotiate aggressively to get you the most financial compensation possible.
- Take your case to trial if insurance refuses a reasonable settlement offer. Most cases settle, but having an advocate prepares you if court action becomes necessary.
- Advise you on protections like retaining medical providers and avoiding statements that could undermine your claim.
- Handle all of the paperwork, filings, communications, and other behind-the-scenes legal work so you can focus on recovering.
Our legal experience and resources allow us to achieve optimal compensation results for injured clients in Kokomo car accident cases.
Once we have thoroughly investigated your crash, we normally present our evidence to the at-fault driver’s insurance company. If this does not result in a fair settlement offer, we will not hesitate to file a lawsuit on your behalf in pursuit of the money you rightfully deserve for your accident.
Contact a Car Accident Law Firm in Kokomo Today
When a serious car accident causes injuries due to another driver’s negligence, it is critical to stand up for your rights and seek the full compensation you deserve. The experienced personal injury attorneys at Vaughan & Vaughan can aggressively handle all aspects of your claim and ensure you receive maximum recovery.
With over a century of legal experience helping accident victims in Howard County, our team has the resources and knowledge to investigate your case thoroughly and fight to hold at-fault parties fully accountable.
Our firm also works on commercial truck accident claims. Learn more about how we can help you. Contact our law firm and schedule your free case evaluation at our Kokomo office.