Carmel Car Accidents and Your Rights
Choose the law firm that’s been part of the Carmel community for over 100 years
Carmel, Indiana is a special place to drive. There are over 138 roundabouts here - more than any other city in the U.S. The use of roundabouts has decreased the rate of fatal accidents in the city, but crashes still happen here.
A bad car accident can change everything. At Vaughan & Vaughan we help injured people in Central Indiana, the Indianapolis Metro region and beyond get their lives back on track after a serious car crash.
One moment you’re driving down 126th Street heading off to play golf, running errands, going to work, etc. and the next you’ve been T-boned by a pickup truck. You wake up riding in an ambulance racing toward UI Health, wondering how a normal day could have gone so wrong.
Suddenly, you’re too injured to work. Walking may even be difficult at this point. The goals you’ve set for yourself and the future you had planned may feel like they are slipping away.
There is hope. Every year, there are more than 215,000 traffic accidents in Indiana. Many of the people seriously injured in crashes go on to make full recoveries, but they don’t do it alone. Vaughan & Vaughan fights for Indiana’s injured. We understand how vital it is that you get everything you need to make a full recovery and maintain it for a lifetime. That’s why our firm aggressively pursues the maximum compensation for our clients’ injuries and damaged property
Vaughan & Vaughan provides free case evaluations to car accident victims. We will listen to the details of your accident and the extent of your injuries. We can help you understand how the law applies to your case and realize the full value of your claim.
Contact Vaughan & Vaughan any time, day or night, to schedule a free case review.
Carmel’s most dangerous roadways
Overall, the city has a relatively low rate of car accidents, but that doesn’t mean drivers can relax behind the wheel. It’s always a good idea to stay alert and drive defensively.
According to fatal accident data, some of the most dangerous roadways in Carmel include:
- East 96th Street at Wild Cherry Lane, Knightsbridge Boulevard
- US 31
- 111th Street
- Westfield Boulevard
Who’s at fault in an Indiana car accident?
Most people don’t know, until they get into a car accident themselves, that Indiana is a modified comparative fault state with a 51 percent rule.
This means that even if you are the victim in a car accident, you could still be found to be partially liable for the crash. Your settlement or verdict is reduced by however much fault you have in an accident. For example, if your accident claim is worth $20,000 and you’re found to be 20 percent at fault, you would receive $16,000 or $4,000 less.
If you are found to be more than 51 percent at fault in an accident, you cannot claim any damages, the legal term for financial compensation.
Types of car accidents
Car accidents come in many forms. Some of the most common ones include:
- Head-on collisions – Head-ons often happen on roadways where there is no physical barrier between opposite lanes of travel, like 146th Street at US 31. Head-ons are the second most common type of traffic accident in the U.S.
- Sideswipes – When the sides of two vehicles hit, it’s a sideswipe. Side-impact crashes like these often happen when people are changing lanes.
- Angle – This may be the most common type of car accident and involves one vehicle hitting the side of another. A severe angle crash is sometimes called a T-bone or intersection accident. Angle accidents often occur at intersections or when a vehicle is turning onto a street.
- Rear enders – If a vehicle hits the back of your car, it’s a rear-end collision. This is one of the most common types of accidents in the country.
- Hit-and-runs – This is any kind of traffic accident in which a motor vehicle operator drives away from the scene of the crash to escape responsibility. In Indiana, it is illegal to leave the scene of an accident.
What causes a car accident?
The number one cause of fatal car accidents is speeding, according to highway safety data. Often, the faster a vehicle is moving at the time of impact, the greater the damage and injuries to those involved.
Because it is a choice, speeding is one of the most avoidable accident factors threatening roadway safety.
Carmel has addressed speeding more than most communities. One reason for the many roundabouts in the city is to slow traffic down. Roundabout design requires vehicles to reduce their speed to maneuver through the circle.
Other driving behaviors often involved in fatal car crashes include:
- Operating while intoxicated (OWI, DUI)
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Failure to keep in the proper lane
- Reckless driving
- Distracted driving
- Failure to obey traffic signals, signs, or officers
- Overcorrecting/oversteering. An example would be a driver who jerks the wheel to the left when they hear their tires on a rumble strip.
- Vision obscured by rain, snow, glare, lights, buildings, trees, etc.
- Drowsy driving
Generations of results for accident victims. You can count on us.
The legal team at Vaughan & Vaughan has been fighting for injury victims’ rights in Carmel, Metro Indianapolis, Central Indiana, for more than a century.
When the first generation of Vaughan family lawyers opened their practice, Carmel City Court was still the Carmel Public Library.
We know Indiana law and work with the people in Carmel’s justice and insurance systems every day. With Vaughan & Vaughan, you get an insider’s knowledge of how the local process works.
There when you need us
The legal team at Vaughan & Vaughan understands that money can be tight following a bad car accident. That’s why we offer free case consultations to the injured and represent many claims on a contingency basis.
When we work on contingency, it means there is no retainer or hourly rate for you to pay. Our fee is calculated into your final settlement or verdict and paid for by the insurance companies - not you. If we don’t win, we don’t get paid.
Call or email Vaughan & Vaughan to schedule a no-obligation, free case review with a member of our knowledgeable legal team. We will listen to the details of your case and get to know the extent of your injuries and losses. Together, we will weigh the best legal options for you moving forward.
Contact Vaughan & Vaughan after your accident. We’re serious about winning your case.