Commercial vehicle accidents can be extremely devastating and complex. Different laws and regulations may apply as commercial drivers are held to higher safety standards. Due to the size and scope of their vehicles—everything from semi-trucks to buses- the damages in a claim can be extremely high.
Multiple insurance companies and lawyers may be involved, and things can be complicated. If you have been injured in any way by the negligence of a commercial driver, you need the expertise of an experienced Muncie commercial vehicle attorney to navigate the complexities and stand up for your rights.
The Muncie personal injury lawyers of Vaughan and Vaughan have helped countless injury victims to recover significant compensation after truck accidents, and we may be able to help you.
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Commercial Vehicle Accident?
It’s important to seek legal representation as quickly as possible after a truck accident results in injuries. Not having a lawyer to look out for your interests can put you at a significant disadvantage when dealing with trucking businesses.
They start hunting for proof to disprove claims and reduce their responsibility, or evidence is misplaced or altered. When you hire a lawyer, we can get to work immediately collecting evidence at the site and questioning any eyewitnesses.
You can get a thorough investigation done on your case before any key information or evidence is lost. You can call a commercial vehicle accident attorney in Muncie who will move quickly to collect all relevant information and begin building your case.
Negligence Is a Factor in Many Commercial Vehicle Accidents
The safe operation of a semi-truck depends on many different parts and people. In order to get from A to B, it is necessary to properly manage maintenance and inspections. Drivers need specialized training and should be provided with sufficient rest periods.
An accident that causes catastrophic damage or death might be caused by something as simple as a lapse in maintenance or a distracted driver. When a trucking company doesn’t meet safety standards, it can be held liable for the resulting accidents.
Your commercial vehicle accident attorney in Muncie can investigate to pinpoint the exact causes of your crash. Some common reasons these accidents happen are:
- Distracted driving due to the use of electronic devices
- Inadequate or ineffective driver safety education
- Driver fatigue from long shifts or no breaks
- Truck is overloaded or over the weight limit
- Unsafe trucks put on the road – failure to comply with safety inspections
- Mechanical failures due to inadequate maintenance
- Driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Aggressive driving
- Improper cargo loading
A Muncie commercial truck accident lawyer can gather the right evidence and construct your case to demonstrate how these negligent circumstances contributed to the collision to make your claim successful.
Commercial Vehicle Accident Injuries
Commercial truck accidents can be particularly dangerous due to the size and weight of these large vehicles. The sheer scale of these commercial trucks means that the force of an impact is much greater than in a typical car accident, resulting in more severe injuries or even fatalities in some cases.
Common injuries from truck accidents include
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Head trauma
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage
Additionally, long-term issues such as chronic pain or post-traumatic stress disorder can emerge months after the initial incident. It’s best for anyone who is in an accident involving a large commercial vehicle to seek medical attention immediately. Then reach out to a commercial vehicle accident lawyer in Muncie as soon as possible so we can begin helping you secure compensation.
What Can a Commercial Vehicle Attorney Do to Help?
Truck crashes typically involve large companies with deep pockets. The moment the accident happens, their attorneys will be notified, and investigators will be sent to the scene. The truck driver and commercial vehicle owners will have their interests protected. Here is how a Muncie commercial truck accident lawyer can help you:
- We will carry out extensive research, look at potential legal options, and build a strong case against any negligent parties that are involved
- We fully investigate issues surrounding the case, such as driving records, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Violations, maintenance logs, and other relevant information
- Your commercial vehicle accident lawyer may also make use of expert witnesses to help prove facts in court which can bolster your claim for damages.
- Your trucking injury lawyer will be skilled at settlement negotiations and will fight to maximize your compensation
- We also handle all communication and interactions with insurance companies, opposing lawyers, and other parties involved
- Commercial vehicle accident lawyers have a thorough understanding of how trucking and transport laws apply in each individual case
- We will guide clients throughout the entire process and use creative strategies to obtain fair settlements or favorable court verdicts on behalf of our clients
How Much Is My Claim Worth?
Our attorneys spend considerable effort collecting evidence and conducting a full and thorough calculation of damages. This can help to ensure that you are collecting the maximum amount of compensation possible. When we have evidence and a complete story of your losses, it makes a very compelling argument to use against insurers or opposing counsel when they refuse to take responsibility.
When determining the value of a commercial accident case, various factors should be looked at. The extent of injuries sustained will significantly affect the total amount of compensatory damages you might receive in a settlement or judgment.
Some important factors include:
- The extent of your injuries
- The cost of your current and future medical expenses
- The severity and disruption of life activities caused by your injuries
- Available insurance coverage
Evaluating these factors helps us determine the total amount that should be awarded in a legal settlement or judgment so you can get back to rebuilding your life after an accident. You can reach out to a commercial trucking accident lawyer in Muncie to find out more about your claim’s value.
Contact a Commercial Vehicle Accident Law Firm in Muncie, Indiana, for a Free Case Evaluation
If you have been injured in an accident involving a company vehicle, contact Vaughan & Vaughan as soon as possible. We understand that it can be difficult to secure the compensation you are entitled to — especially given large companies typically have teams of lawyers.
When you are facing an opponent whose only job is to limit the financial liability of their company following a crash, you will need legal representation. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.