Personal Injury LawyersLafayette, Indianapolis, and all of Indiana
765-742-0056 Locations

Motorcycle Accident FAQ

Helping the injured in Indiana since 1913

If you've been hurt in a motorcycle accident, you probably have a lot of questions. You may feel you deserve financial compensation for your injuries, but find the process of filing a claim is very confusing. The experienced motorcycle accident attorneys at Vaughan & Vaughan can help you find answers to your questions and get justice.

A motorcycle accident can impact your life in many ways and can happen anywhere. Maybe you were rear-ended on Sagamore Parkway or hit by a distracted driver at a Twyckenham Boulevard intersection. No matter how complex your injuries, our attorneys can determine the total amount of damages you have suffered. This includes medical expenses and lost wages if you can't return to work. It includes other damages such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, disability and loss of enjoyment of life.

But recovering compensation can be difficult. The negligent driver who caused your crash might not accept responsibility for what happened. And there is a stereotype that portrays motorcyclists as reckless and dangerous.

If you were hurt in a crash, you probably have a lot of questions. We can help.

FAQ: Indiana motorcycle accident injury claims

Here are some examples of questions people have asked us following a motorcycle accident. The information provided is general and may not apply to your case. For information that specifically applies to your situation, contact our law firm for a free case evaluation.

How can an attorney help me with my claim?

Recovering financial compensation after a motorcycle accident can be complicated. Negligent drivers typically deny responsibility for what happened and insurance companies are often only interested in paying you as little as possible. Meanwhile, you may be recovering from your injuries, seeing your medical expenses go up as your income goes down while you can't work.

The motorcycle accident attorneys at Vaughan & Vaughan have the resources to investigate your crash to find out what really happened. We can build a strong case that proves you were the victim of another's negligence. We can determine the total amount of the damages you have suffered and demand compensation.

Return to Top

If my crash seems minor, do I need to call the police?

Yes. Even if your crash seems minor, it may seem like an inconvenience to wait for the police to arrive and process the scene. The other driver might even suggest simply exchanging information and letting the insurance companies sort it out. But calling the police can help protect your rights.

The responding officer will conduct an initial investigation and fill out a report. This report documents your crash and may provide information that is very helpful when you are seeking compensation. For example, it may indicate that the other driver was operating recklessly or driving under the influence of alcohol.

You can get a copy of the report, which a motorcycle accident attorney can use to establish negligence and show the insurance company that you deserve more financial compensation than they are offering.

Return to Top

Why is it important to get medical attention even if I feel OK?

Nobody likes being in a crash. And if you feel OK, you may just want to leave the scene and get to where you were going. But there are two important reasons why you should seek medical attention immediately anyway.

The first reason is to make sure you really are OK. Some injuries, such as traumatic brain injury, have delayed symptoms that may not show up for hours or days. A doctor can diagnose any unseen injuries you suffered and begin treatment before your condition gets worse. The other reason is to provide documentation of how your health was impacted by the crash. This documentation could be very useful when seeking financial compensation.

Don't take chances with your future. Protect your health and your legal rights by getting medical attention after your motorcycle accident. See a doctor.

Return to Top

The insurance company made a settlement offer. Should I take it?

It's not unusual for an insurance company to make a settlement offer soon after you've been injured. You are likely still recovering from your injuries and have already have significant medical bills. And if you can't yet go back to work, there may be less money coming in. Under these circumstances, it can be very tempting to accept their offer.

But it's important to remember that the insurance company likely wants to pay you as little as possible. Their offer is typically a lowball amount that comes nowhere near covering the cost of the total damages you have suffered. They just want to save money and hope you'll take the deal and go away.

That's why you should consult an experienced motorcycle accident attorney before accepting any offer from the insurance company.

Return to Top

What kind of damages can I seek?

There are different types of damages that can be suffered in a motorcycle crash. One is economic damages. These represent actual monetary loss. A common example is medical expenses for treating your injury - both now and in the future. Other examples are lost wages while your injury prevented you from working and loss of future earnings if you are unable to return to work.

The other type is noneconomic damages. These are losses that have impacted your life but don't have a literal monetary value. Examples include emotional distress, pain and suffering, loss of consortium and loss of enjoyment of life. Depending on the circumstances of your case, we may also be able to pursue punitive damages.

A motorcycle accident attorney can determine the total amount of damages you have suffered and help you seek financial compensation. Our firm has a long history of getting results through negotiated settlements and jury verdicts. Call us for a free consultation.

Return to Top

How long do I have to file a claim?

In every state, there is a statute of limitation that sets a deadline for taking legal action. In Indiana, this deadline is two years from the date of your motorcycle accident. But it's best to talk to an attorney as soon as possible after your crash. This helps protect your rights and gives you a better chance of getting the financial compensation you deserve.

An attorney can investigate your crash shortly after it happens. We can gather evidence before it gets lost. We can interview witnesses before their memories of the accident fade. We can start right away on building the strongest case possible.

Return to Top

Honest advice from attorneys you can trust

Insurance companies are supposed to help after you've been injured. But insurance companies are often simply concerned with protecting their profits. And they typically try to pay as little as possible. We know the tactics insurance companies use to avoid responsibility, and we know how to deal with them.

Our goal is to get you the best possible outcome in your case. Since our founding in 1913, we have earned a reputation for getting results for clients through negotiated settlements and jury verdicts. We are only interested in a resolution of your case that meets your needs and helps you move forward. If the insurance company won’t agree to a settlement that works for you, we can help you file a motorcycle accident lawsuit.

Learn more about how we can help you with your motorcycle accident claim. Call us at 765-742-0056 for a free consultation with a motorcycle accident attorney. We’ll review your case and explain all your legal options. That way, you can make informed decisions about what to do next. And we are happy to answer any legal questions you have.

Office Locations

201 Main St #104
Lafayette, IN 47901

View Map 765-742-0056

9595 Whitley Dr
Suite 203
Indianapolis, IN 46240

View Map 463-217-0075

14300 Clay Terrace Blvd Suite 269
Carmel, IN 46032

View Map 463-217-0208

4019 Columbus Ave
Suite C
Anderson, IN 46013

View Map 765-246-8831

125 E Charles St
Suite 116
Muncie, IN 47305

View Map 765-246-8907

515 N Washington St
Kokomo, IN 46901

View Map 765-246-8923
Free Consultation Click Here