A catastrophic injury is defined as severe conditions like spinal cord trauma, amputations, brain injuries, organ damage, and other injuries that may require lifelong treatment. If you have been hurt in an accident and now need multiple surgeries or extensive care, you may qualify for compensation that covers accident-related expenses like medical care and wage loss.
For over 100 years, Vaughan & Vaughan has served the surrounding neighborhoods of Indiana, such as Lafayette, Carmel, Indianapolis, Anderson, and more. We pride ourselves on advocating for injured victims to get them the settlement that they deserve after a serious accident.
Our catastrophic injury lawyers in Indiana are committed to protecting your rights and upholding your best interests while you focus on moving forward with your recovery process. We offer a free consultation to discuss the facts of your case, the worth of your catastrophic injury claim, and how we plan to prove liability to get you the payout that you deserve.
Experienced Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Indiana
We’re sorry to meet you in such difficult circumstances if you’re looking for a catastrophic injury attorney in Indiana, but we aim to help you obtain financial compensation to make the road to recovery more bearable. We have decades of experience seeking justice and large payouts for victims of the following traumatic accidents:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle crashes
- Workplace incidents
- Bicycle wrecks
- Medical negligence
- and more
According to the National Safety Council (NSC), there are currently over 55.4 million injuries every year. In Indiana, car accidents are one of the main reasons people suffer catastrophic injuries. Our office handles a wide range of injury cases so that our clients may rest easy knowing that a knowledgeable lawyer is advocating for them.
Why You Are Entitled to a Settlement After a Traumatic Injury
If a person or company has failed to uphold a proper duty of care or standard of safety and you are injured as a result, an investigation can be done to assign liability to the appropriate party for just compensation. After a serious accident or injury, the following factors can determine your eligibility for a hefty settlement:
The cost of medical care is directly proportional to your injury’s severity. Injuries that require surgeries, rehabilitation, or devices and prescriptions on a long-term basis can qualify you for a larger settlement.
If you were able to work before being injured but now are unable to hold the same type of work due to your injury, lost wages can be recovered. According to Indiana statute 42 U.S.C. § 3796b, any injury that forces you out of work or significantly reduces your income is catastrophic and recoverable by filing a claim against the at-fault party.
The effects of a major injury, such as emotional distress, pain and suffering, or mental illness, might be difficult to evaluate on your own. Any emotional harm you sustained can be assessed and requested during compensation discussions with the aid of a qualified accident attorney.
How Quickly Are Catastrophic Injury Settlements Paid Out?
If you need help calculating how much your catastrophic injury is worth or need an estimate of how long these injury cases will take to resolve, your best approach is to take advantage of a free consultation with one of our Indiana catastrophic injury lawyers.
There is no standard timeframe for case resolution or an average settlement amount for a severe injury lawsuit. It is typical for your lawyers to wait until you are in a stable state before calculating how long litigation could take and the overall compensation package that will be needed.
Secure a Large Settlement Award After a Catastrophic Injury
Traumatic injuries can qualify for larger settlements because of the way that they impact the victims and the lives of their families. Immediately after a bad accident, it is natural to feel helpless and out of control. Gain your power and fight back by following these steps to secure a fair injury settlement:
- File a report that documents your injuries and how the accident happened. Be mindful not to speculate or exaggerate the truth while reporting; contact the police so that they can document their interpretation of what happened.
- Compile as much evidence at the scene of your accident as possible. If you are immediately taken to the hospital, security camera footage and witness statements may be used to solidify your claim.
- Seek medical care and follow the doctor’s orders consistently. No matter the severity of your injury, an insurance company may devalue your claim if you are not consistent with your treatment plan. Both sides will share medical documentation to evaluate how much compensation is needed for restitution.
- Be careful with what you post on social media or discuss with others. Unfortunately, insurance agencies prioritize their financial gain over your recovery and well-being. After an accident, an investigation will be held to assign liability but also to verify the validity of your claim. Limit posting and discussing any details that may hurt your case.
- Keep a journal to document how this injury has impacted your life. Since pain, suffering, and emotional distress can be hard to account for monetarily, documentation that puts the courts in your situation can positively impact the outcome of your case.
- Trust a lawyer for legal advice. Many people try to defend themselves in personal injury cases to save money, but the assurance of having a qualified legal attorney fighting for you is priceless. Ask questions during free consultations to help you secure the settlement you rightfully deserve.
Seek Legal Help from Local Catastrophic Injury Lawyers After an Accident in Indiana
Severe injury cases can involve complex and drawn-out legal battles that require the patience and expertise of a seasoned Indiana catastrophic injury attorney. At Vaughan & Vaughan, our legal team can maximize the value of your case through knowledge and preparation, regardless of what led to your catastrophic injury.
We understand how your life-altering incident has affected you. We are sincerely interested in helping you and your family regain some peace of mind through financial recovery. Contact us for a risk-free case assessment when you’re prepared to take legal action and recover the compensation you are due following an accident. We are eager to assist you.